Music plays a huge part in my training. It motivates me to run faster and distracts me from whatever pain I’m feeling (well for the most part). I want to share with you some of the songs I’ve been listening to while I run because I know from personal experience how tough it is to find the right songs to pump me up. First, get to know my taste in music 🙂 I grew up and love grunge music but also have a soft spot for catchy cheesy 80’s and 90’s pop songs.
My absolute favourite band to run to is Green Day. Why? Their songs are punchy, fast, short, and catchy.
- Hitchin’ a Ride – this has a good drum beat at a good pace you can time your strides with.
- I Fought the Law
- American Idiot
- Longview – love the intro
- Walking Contradiction
- King for a Day
Here’s some old school punk to throw into the mix…
- Blitzkrieg Bop by The Ramones
- Judy is a Punk by The Ramones
- Monkey Wrench by The Foo Fighters
- Big Me by The Foo Fighters – This is a little slower but sometimes you need to slow down your pace a little.
- Learn to Fly by The Foo Fighters
- Battery by Metallica – If this won’t make you run fast, I don’t know what will.
- Lump by The Presidents of the United States of America – Short, punchy and catchy!
- Gremmie Out of Control by Pearl Jam – One of Pearl Jam’s rarities is a surf song that’s pretty fun to run to.
- The Hardest Button to Button by The White Stripes – Again, drum beat!
- Hotel Yorba by The White Stripes
- Sunday Morning by No Doubt
- Spiderwebs by No Doubt
- China Girl by David Bowie
- What a Feeling by Irene Cara – Nobody puts baby in a corner…
- I Ran by A Flock of Seagulls – Feels like a flock of seagulls is chasing me
- We Built This City by Jefferson Starship – Just pretend that big red die is rolling after you…
- Eye of the Tiger by Survivor – This is so inspiring when you need it the most.
Pop / Dance
- The Walker by Fitz and the Tantrums
- This is What It Feels Like by Armin van Buuren – One of my favourite race starters.
- Safe and Sound by Capital Cities
- Human by The Killers – This has always sounded inspiring to me… another good race starter.
- Shake it Off by Taylor Swift
- Happy by Pharrell Williams
- Young Folks by Peter, Bjorn and John
Do you have songs you love to listen to while running? Leave a comment and help me add to my list 🙂
Feature Photo on homepage from Shutterstock